Olympieion logo

View looking south-eastwards towards the Olympieion from the Athenian akropolis. Beyond the Olympieion (eastwards) is the nineteenth century (1896) Olympic stadium which restored the benefaction to the city of Athens by Herodes Atticus in AD 143.

At the bottom of the picture (among the trees) is the Lysikrates monument, and beyond it the Arch of Hadrian which marked the boundary between the Greek and Roman cities.


Photograph © David Gill 2001

This page was created by David Gill on 1 January 2004.